Jacob Jones Janeway, clergyman, born in New York city, 20 November, 1774; died in New Brunswick, New Jersey, 27 June, 1858. His family came from England early in the 17th century, one of whom bore with him the charter of Trinity church, of which he was a vestryman. He died about 1708. Jacob was graduated at Columbia in 1794, and after studying theology with Dr. John H. Livingston was ordained in 1799 a colleague of Dr. Ashbel Green in the 2d Presbyterian church of Philadelphia, where he remained till 1828. After holding for one year the chair of theology in the Western theological seminary, he was pastor of a Dutch Reformed church in New Brunswick, New Jersey, for two years. He was elected a trustee of Rutgers in 1820, and in 1833-'9 was vice president of that college and professor of literature, the evidences of Christianity, and political economy. He then became a trustee of Princeton, and was engaged till his death in general missionary work and in supervision of theological and collegiate institutions in the Presbyterian church. He was a director of Princeton theological seminary from 1813 till 1830 and again from 1840 till 1858, and president of the board from 1849 till 1858. He joined his friend, Dr. Jonathan Cogswell, of New Brunswick, in the gift of a church to the Presbyterians of that city. His publications include "Commentaries on Romans, Hebrews, and Acts" (3 vols., Philadelphia, 1866); "Internal Evidence of the Holy Bible"; "Communicants' Manual"; "On Unlawful Marriage" (New York, 1844); "Review of Dr. Schaff on Protestantism"; and essays and letters on religious subjects. See "Memoir of Reverend Jacob J. Janeway," by his son, Thomas L. Janeway (Philadelphia, 1861).--His grandson, Edward Gamaliel, physician, born in New York city, 31 August, 1841, was graduated at Rutgers in 1860, after which, during 1862-'3, he was acting medical cadet in the United States army hospital in Newark, New Jersey, and was graduated at the College of physicians and surgeons in 1864. Dr. Janeway then settled in New York, where he has ever since practised. His connection with Bellevue hospital medical college began in 1868, when he was appointed one of its curators. In 1872 he was called to the chair of physiology and pathological anatomy in the medical department of the University of the city of New York, but at the end of a year he returned to Bellevue as professor of materia medica and therapeutics. This appointment he held until 1876, when he became professor of pathological anatomy and histology, diseases of the nervous system, and clinical medicine. In 1881 he added the instruction in principles and practice of medicine to his duties, and he also delivered the lectures on materia medica and therapeutics from 1873 till 1876. Dr. Janeway was appointed health commissioner of the city of New York in 1875, and filled that appointment until 1882. He held visiting appointments to the Charity hospital in 1868-'71, to the Hospital for epileptics and paralytics in 1870-'4, and to Bellevue hospital since 1871, being also one of the pathologists to that institution since 1867. As a diagnostician he has a high reputation, and his consulting practice is very large. He is a member of numerous medical societies, was vice president of the New York pathological society in 1874, and has been president of the New York medical journal association.